Building up your core strength is an important part of a well-rounded fitness program. Core exercises train the muscles in your pelvis, lower back, hips and abdomen to work together. This leads to better balance and stability, whether in sports or in daily activities. Core exercises are also key in helping your get your perfectly defined tummy!
Here are a few of my favourite core exercises you can practise at home….
- Start lying on your back with upper body flexed off the mat, legs extended towards the ceiling, gently holding onto the sides of your legs.
NOTE: Spine is in imprinted position with your ribs drawing down towards your hips and a light posterior tilt in your pelvis.
- Inhale to prepare. Exhale and reach one leg away extending at the hip. Reach hands towards the ankle of the leg closest to you.
- Inhale, start to switch legs by reaching them to ceiling so they pass each other in mid-air.
- Exhale and reach the opposite leg into extension at hip.
Repeat 10-12 repetitions.
- Start sitting sideways with your legs bent.
- Place your supporting forearm onto the mat with your elbow underneath your shoulder. Lift your top hand up towards the ceiling.